FAQFAQ
SearchSearch
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Forum
Changing start time auctions
Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 am FR
Easy: what code to use to update sql table?
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:39 am guyb
Unlimited products(downloads)
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:09 pm hoimyr
Seller chooses currency
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 pm hoimyr
Cant select end date without getting error
Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm hoimyr

About
Author: FR
Credits:
Brookfresh, Brad Lawryk, Crogon, DaMysterious, EklipzeDesigns, ML, musashi, phpBB Group, phpBB-Auction-Team, php-styles, sanman, Tel, Vampy, wGEric

Supported Sites

Statistics
User: 17715
Latest User: LutherDet

Guidance in modding that will be useful to others requested
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Guidance in modding that will be useful to others requested Reply with quote

I am creating a silent auction site for the Amazing Things Arts Center, a community music and arts venue in Framingham, Massachusetts, USA. http://amazingthings.org/

My reasons for bothering you are two-fold:
1) I don't want to duplicate anything that's already been done.
2) I want to do the new things I do in a way that will be useful to others.

My PHP skills are such that I know what is possible, and I can get there eventually, but the route and code produced are ugly. But for these minor changes, I think I may be useful if I know in what form to make my changes and how to communicate them. I am not familiar with the PHP-MOD system or if the auction mod has its own equivalent. If you can point me to where I can be walked through the way to do modifications properly, I would be most grateful.

These are the six extensions I need to find or produce in the next few weeks:

* Ensure that when someone self-registers, they continue where they were-- especially if they were in the process of placing a bid when they were told they hod to register or log in.
* Add fields to record more information about the user on registration.
* Add a 'List All Items' (regardless of category)
* Likewise, a way to click through all of the items one at a time from wherever you start ('next item')
* A way to print out all bids (none will be final at that point, right before our second annual meeting, party, close of auction, and election).
* (if time) Show tiny thumbnail pictures on the top-level list of items, before clicking for detail, instead of the camera icon.

Thank you for any direction or advice. Our arts center's philosophy: "The arts are a rich form of communication that allow us meet, accept, and understand one another." I'm doing this completely volunteer, and feel better asking for help on it than if I were making an auction site for stolen car parts or something!

I'm going to put these up one at a time as feature requests, but I need to do this in the next week or two so I'll have to be doing it myself. I'd like to do at least some of it in a way that these features I want can be features for others. Thanks.
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. the functionality exists with the redirect function.
2. there is a mod out there for adding fields to the registration - just search on www.phpbbhacks.com
3. Just take the auction_romm.php, rename it and delete the line to filter the offers of the one auction room within the sql query.
4. this is a little more coding.
5. bids or offers ?
6. there is a mod for that.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: 5. Generating a list of offers and latest bids. Reply with quote

How many ways can I display my ignorance in a single thread?

If I have my auction terminology correct, I want to be able to create a nice print-out of all offers accompanied by any high bid for each.

This is for the purpose of taking the auction completely off-line at a certain time and allowing people in attendance to place final, higher bids if they choose.
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we still use different words.

an offer is a for example a car.
the bids are than coming.
first bid 10 Euro
second bid 20 Euro
next bid 25 Euro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Making a new feature, modding Reply with quote

Thanks, FR.

I'd still like to try to learn how to work on these things in such a way that it can be a useful mod or even a feature. For instance, to build in the 'next item' option it should be made a block that can be turned on or off in the administration panel. (I'd place the block right above the user-info block, which apparently cannot be turned off.)

By tomorrow morning the site will be up, and you-all can see I've been hacking away at some of the template files, and I think I'm learning a bit about the rest of the set-up.

In any case, using my expertise as a complete novice, I will try to post explanations of these solutions beneath my feature requests in a way even I can understand.

By the way, if you make a new template from Subsilver (by copying the templates/subSilver directory into a new name), and trying to use it breaks the entire site, remember to rename subSilver.cfg to whatever your new directory is named. Another thing about a new template, is that phpbb-auction continues to look for template image files in subSilver, and I haven't figured out how to fix that.
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Usability: seamless registration/log-in when denied access Reply with quote

5. For the print-out, I definitely want all the offers (items) listed with whatever the high bid on each is. I don't expect others to need this, and I can pull the information directly out of the database, so I might as well do this one all myself.

Far more important, for everyone who uses PHPbb-Auction, and something I consider a basic, necessary matter of usability is what follows (this regards feature request #1, I don't see redirect as providing this by itself):

An unregistered user is browsing the auction site. She sees something she likes. She clicks "bid." And she ends up at this dead end: "Sorry, you dont have the permission to bid on offers."

Instead, this screen should offer to either register (several steps) or log-in (one step) and finish processing her bid.

Not easy, but I think invaluable.

Vote for this as a feature request - http://www.phpbb-auction.com/ftopic1409.html - and maybe FR will make it by October when my arts center auction gets publicized! I'd hack around and try to do this, but I really think it should be the standard for all phpbb-auction, and I'm not sure my hackis would be well-written enough to be incorporated.
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your printing issue:
as i understand you want to basically see a table like the auction-room illustrion. all offers with each highest bid.
You can take the auction_room.php adjust it slightly in case you want another filter, you know how to change the templates..... and thats it.

the next button can be implemented as well.
just search for the next higher auction_offer_id and dump the url with a next text. should be simple.

the redirect as mentioned would be nice. It would require storing a lot of information in either the database or url while a user is surfing the website.
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Image Options Administration Panel in Standalone Reply with quote

I can't get to the image options Administration section in the standalone version-- I can't find the file to edit to add the link either, maybe I should look in templates?

My site is live - for testing purposes - at http://pwgd.org/zing/auction/auction.php

I've implemented the add-registration-fields hack and will be doing much more soon. Thanks for the great software.
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to edit the link for the image admin?
The admin file will be automatically in the ACP as long it is in the admin folder.
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Thanks, Manage Images is there; Register/categories problem Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the sixth option down under Auction: "Manage Images." And I somehow managed to not find it. I fixed that a few days ago and failed to send this note, now my issue is that I may have corrupted something regarding the registering, probably in profile.php, and the download link for the standalone project isn't working.

On my site now, here is the error message I get when trying to register:

Code:
Couldn't obtain category list.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'pwgd_zing.phpbb_categories' doesn't exist

All I know is that I must have done something to break it and that, as I'm using the standalone without a forum, I don't think I want phpbb_categrories.
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: I've located my problem: usercp_register.php Reply with quote

My usercp_register.php got corrupted somehow (cut in half), and I replaced it with the one from a regular phpbb install.

So I need to know the changes to make or to get a new copy of includes/usercp_register.php

Thanks!
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the files you mention have nothing to do with the auction
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Problem solved, site up; now about that art mod Reply with quote

I solved my problem, and while few of the changes I want are implemented yet -- in particular, I haven't found the mod to put thumbnail pictures alongside the lists of items (and perhaps sample pictures on the room and category listings) -- the site seems to be fully working at http://pwgd.org/zing/auction/auction.php

The critical difference between the regular phpbb usercp_register.php and the standalone auction usercp_register.php... well, I'll let the comments I added to my usercp_register.php file speak for themselves:

Code:

//
// Default pages
//
include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_header.'.$phpEx);

/* lo, the evil one who had been excised from the standalone version but wormed its way into mine HAS BEEN FOUND:

make_jumpbox('viewforum.'.$phpEx);
*/

:D
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mean jumpbox..... ahhhrggg. Very Happy
Benjamin M. Melançon
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: 6. Replacing camera icon with thumbnail of the image Reply with quote

Hi FR, thanks for your friendly help. I think you said there is a mod to replace the camera icons alongside the offer titles in the auction room view with pictures of the images associated with each offer.

I haven't been able to find a mod like this, could you point me to it (or the closest you know about, that I could modify)?

Thanks a lot,

ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpbb-auction.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: