FAQFAQ
SearchSearch
UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Forum
Changing start time auctions
Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 am FR
Easy: what code to use to update sql table?
Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:39 am guyb
Unlimited products(downloads)
Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:09 pm hoimyr
Seller chooses currency
Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 pm hoimyr
Cant select end date without getting error
Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm hoimyr

About
Author: FR
Credits:
Brookfresh, Brad Lawryk, Crogon, DaMysterious, EklipzeDesigns, ML, musashi, phpBB Group, phpBB-Auction-Team, php-styles, sanman, Tel, Vampy, wGEric

Supported Sites

Statistics
User: 17574
Latest User: Bikolsexhix

Allow direct buy auctions to select a direct billing system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpbb-auction.com Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this a good idea?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Maybe
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Crogon

Location: Anywhere I'm needed.. which is usually everywhere. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Allow direct buy auctions to select a direct billing system. Reply with quote

Hi FR and all. Smile

I haven't researched this yet, but instead of using a PayPal account, a few of my clients are requesting a way to send a buyer to a shopping cart type system, or something where they can enter their credit card and billing info, instead of being forced to use PayPal.

The general idea is that a lot of people refuse to sign up for paypal, or just don't want to, and may leave without following through on the transaction if they are forced to use paypal, or sign up for an account.

So basically a guest would be able to use a direct buy, then they could choose to send the info directly to some sort of shopping cart where they could enter their billing info and credit card info. That's the way I picture it anyway, maybe someone else has a better idea.

Either that, or is anyone aware of a shopping cart that could already bolt onto phpbb-auction? Better yet, lets just start off with.. is anyone aware of a shopping cart system compatible with phpbb?

I'm not sure if this will change their mind about which sort of auction system they will use, but I certainly don't want to have to go around looking for another one. Anyway, this one ROCKS. Very Happy

Last edited by Crogon on Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
FR
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO you can use your credit-card with paypal, not?
The advantage of paypal is that you dont need a SSL-Server - you just use the security of paypal. phpbb has a rather fair session-management, but not as secure as i would want a payment-system.
Just a thouhgt.

Dunno if somebody has started a shopping-card for phpBB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wuushu
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the person having the (SSL) shopping cart script, would need to have a payment processor (such as Paypal) anyways.. if the reason behind the buyer don't want to sign up for paypal, should be that his card is declined.. most likely it wont get processed by any other card processor..

IF this option should be implemented.. which i dont understand how it would work really, the SELLER should be the one specifycing a special "script path" to a working shopping cart.. example http://www.myauctionshoppingcart.com/mycart/myauctioncartscript.php

and NOT the seller.. as that would be kind of backwards.. Not sure how this would work anyhows.. no pun intended to the one who requested it (cant see name from this screen).. just my 0.02 Smile

Thanks for the ideas and thanks for a great mod FR!
Crogon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see the confusion. Basically these guys want to use the direct buy option of phpbb-auction as a shopping cart. After the user clicks the direct buy button, they could select pay pal, or select to be forwarded to the payment chunk of a shopping cart, which could be provided by a bank or whatever. The only thing that would be needed on the phpbb-auction end of it (I believe) would be a way to forward the info to the credit card acceptance place, where the buyer would enter their credit card info and what not.

This is to be used in a business to business environment, so having credit cards rejected by pay pal is not the problem. The problem is businesses not wanting to sign up for pay-pal in the first place. They have done research on this, so I know that it's a valid concern.

At any rate I think it would be a spiffy addition to phpbb-auction, and I wouldn't think it would be too hard to code, just an added button, and a script to forward the info of what the buyer wants to buy and price to a credit card processing place.

Also note, in this situation at least, the seller would always be the same person, so that really wouldn't be an issue. I suppose that you could let the seller specify where to send the info to, but that's not what these guys are looking for. Like I said, they basically want to add the ability to use the direct buy system as a shopping cart.

Does that make any more sense?

EDIT: That link isn't working, but I am curious to see what you are referring to.. any chance you could fix it, or was that supposed to be an example? If it's an example, I don't get it.
Crogon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phpbb-auction.com/ftopic73.html

This is precisely the sort of thing that some of my clients are looking for. They want other businesses to be able to select the 'buy now' option for a variety of items, then choose paypal OR have that info sent to a direct payment center of some sort, where the user can enter their credit card info.

Basically, they want to integrate a shopping cart into phpbb-auction, but outsource the credit card processing to their bank or what not. As I said, their reason for this is that many businesses won't be bothered with setting up a Paypal account, or even an account on the auction board, so they want to streamline the process.

I suppose if I could find a shopping cart system that would install alongside of phpbbauction on a phpbb installation, that that would work as well. Is anyone aware of one?
Wuushu
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you need a payment processor anyways, not just a bank.. (integrated payment processing) for the script you're running.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but i think i misunderstood your first request.. i thought you wanted the BUYER to specify a link where he should be taken to upon completion... Very Happy hehe..

Well i could see use in some cases as you say, where the seller specifies an optional re-direction upon winning bid.. so that the BUYER is redirected to a shopping cart script path, specified by the SELLER.
Crogon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if that would work, as the shopping cart you are working from needs to drop a cookie to track multiple items. If you simply redirected to a payment processor (which I meant a bank with an online payment processor Wink ), the user would have to pay for each item individually, entering their info over and over.

You would need to either:

A) have the front end of the shopping cart built into phpbb-auction, then when the user was ready to check out, they would click 'check out' and go the payment processor.

0r

B) when the user picks an item, it forwards the info (item name and price) to a shopping cart site that will track items purchased AND takes the user to the actual shopping cart site, so that it could drop a cookie. Smile

I have discovered oscommerce. I haven't really looked at the code yet, but on the face, it looks like it may be easy to adapt it to integrate with phpbb-auction. I need to get another site online, then I will explore this possibility. If anyone else has any other ideas, feel free to share them. Smile
Wuushu
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but it sounds very complicated (I do run www.oscommerce.com myself) at www.bikedesign.se

And it would sound like a complete stand-alone mod to integrate such a shopping cart into phpbb-auction..

more rather "phpbb-oscommerce-plugin"
Crogon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically we want the users to only have to log on once. Anyway, all the other functionality of oscommerce is duplicated in phpbb-auction, so all thats really needed is the ability to send the user to a payment processing site.

As I understand it, the two databases are not similar enough to be easily converted. While they MAY be able to coexist on the same website, I very much doubt they will 'plug-in' to each other. Crying or Very sad

SOoo.. still looking for a shopping cart mod that we could plug into phpbb-auction I guess. Razz
jaytrix
Small-Cap Auctioneer
Small-Cap Auctioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Let users list their item for free if they want too or pay.
But the item cannot sell untill the seller has paid a listing fee. Need an icon in the bid area stating that the seller cannot sell at this time but click the (interested button) to let him know you are interested
This way the seller can see if anyone is interested and make him want to pay the listing fee to sell his item.

Just a thought, maybe it has some pitfalls.
Crogon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's way off topic from what I was looking for, but you would be better off charging a broker fee or finder fee, once the seller actually sells something.

Seller places offer.
Buyer clicks buy now, pays auction site.
Auction site pays seller, minus their fee, once buyer has confirmed receipt of item.

That would be on online brokerage, which I think is what you were aiming for. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    phpbb-auction.com Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: